Lesbian couple pleads guilty to faking hate crime | News
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. – Two women who claimed to be the victims of an anti-gay hate crime in Parker last year have pleaded guilty to false reporting.
In October 2011, Aimee Whitchurch, 37, and Christel Conklin, 29, told authorities that vandals spray-painted “Kill the Gay” on their garage and left a noose on their doorstep.
In television interviews, both women said they felt the incidents were in retaliation for disputes they were having with their Homeowner’s Association and neighbors.
“Through the investigation and from witness statements, it was determined that allegations of the incident were false,” said Douglas County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Cocha Hedyen. “Detectives were able to determine that the two women involved were responsible for the words that were spray painted on the garage and the placement of the noose on their own front door.”
Whitchurch and Conklin received 12 months supervised probation and 24 hours of community service. There will be a future hearing regarding restitution.
Upcoming Events near Parker
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Aurora residents must now separate recyclables
- Slain DPS teacher’s daughter arrested on suspicion of killing her
- Drunk driver hits Aurora police car that was processing 2nd drunk driver
- Suspect arrested after triple shooting in Aurora; 2 killed
- Police: Officer shoots shoplifting suspect in leg, is injured in fall
- Investigators: Cigarette causes fatal fire at Castle Rock apartment
- Pilot injured in Castle Rock crash identified
- Castle Rock pastor: Buying Girl Scout cookies promotes ‘lesbianism, abortion’
- DougCo soldier surprises, recognizes favorite high school teacher
- See the St. Jude Dream home, buy a ticket for a chance to win it
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station