48-year-old mother of three dies from Listeria infection | News
DENVER -- Health officials say a second Colorado resident has died from the Listeria outbreak linked to Colorado cantaloupe. Family members say Shelly Occhipinti-Krout died Tuesday morning at Parker Adventist Hospital.
The 48-year-old mother of three had been sick for more than three weeks.
"She's awesome, and I'm going to miss her with all my heart," said Shelly's daughter, Tiffany Weider.
Tiffany says her mother ate a lot of cantaloupe, and it's hard to believe something so simple could be so deadly.
"My mom ate that stuff all the time," she said.
Tiffany says Shelly had a somewhat compromised immune system. The Listeria caused an infection in her colon, and then got into her blood.
"Her body started shutting down," said Tiffany.
The family isn't sure if they will take legal action. Attorneys for two other Colorado victims plan to file a second lawsuit against Jensen Farms, the Colorado grower linked to the outbreak.
Fourteen cases of Listeria have now been confirmed in the state. On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control said that 35 people in 10 states had been sickened in the outbreak so far.
CDC listeria outbreak information
Food and Drug Administration warning about Jensen Farms cantaloupes
Upcoming Events near Parker
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Inmate sentenced to life without parole for killing prison guard
- Sandy Hook survivor, family move to Colo., work for safer schools
- Father protests to save the life of his son’s killer
- Castle Rock Police investigate death of woman found in impounded car
- Douglas County schools have emergency notification failure after Arapahoe shooting